The Abyssinian Mission was founded in the year 1910 following an arrival of a group of missionaries to the region earlier on.
The Scandinavian Union sent P.N Lindegren and J. Persson to establish missionary work ion Abyssinia as the first Adventist missionaries to that region. This was in the year 1907 after which they settled down in Asmara and took time to learn the local language. two years later they entered into the country having gained a fair knowledge of the dialect and settled in about a mile outside Asmara.
Afterwards, they were followed by L. R Conradi with F. W Vasenius’ family and a nurse, V.E Toppenberg all who contributed to the erection of a mission school and home in 1910. A Norwegian, E. J Lorntz was one of the teachers who worked at the newly built school. He was joined by H. Steiner who came in to serve as the director of the mission following the departure of Dr Vasenius and Mr Toppenberg to Victoria Nyanza Mission field.
A major break through in the mission came in 1914 when the first three converts were baptized, a priest and two deacons. however the same year, the missionary work was disrupted for the reason of the first world war and it the activities were overlooked by the natives until the return of V. E Toppenberg after the war in 1921.
The Emmanuel mission was founded in 1910 by H. C Olmstead and J. R Campbell and became the principal station in Basutoland. Murray Kalaka, son of David Kalaka, accompanied, as an interpreter, M. E Emmerson and H. C Olmstead into northern Basutoland to seek site for a new station in the yer before.
Chief Jonathan gave land to the missionaries and soon the work commenced. It became a day school for the natives and even had evening classes specifically for the heardsmen. A P Tarr took charge of the school gladly as he was a native of South African who had been to school in Battle Creek.
By 1919, the mission had grown well enough and had a church membership of over fifty members. Brother F MacDonald led into building other phases of the mission work extending the work to the Orange Free State and establishing roots for the mission work in Basuto land.
Elder Ambrose W Spicer once said of Emmanuel Mission, “” Many a stirring story is told of the experiences of early converts in Basutoland. Here Matsita Was the first to lead the way. When two others had joined, she joyfully said, ‘ Oh, but see how this truth is going! ‘ Sabbath after Sabbath she came to meeting after beatings by an opposing husband. Here lived Mantea, who had to flee over the border to escape from a drunken husband’s threats of death if she continued going to the mission. She came back under promise that she would be allowedto be a Christian, and won her children to the mission. Here Chief Ledingwana was baptized, a young man of education, son of Chief Jonathan, one of the leading chiefs of Basutoland.”
A piece of 320 acre land bought at $244 after the arrival of A.A Carscallen in 1906 served as site for Gendia, the first mission in British East Africa . Carscallen was sent to pioneer the mission work in the area by the British Union Conference. Kavirondo bay, now Kendu Bay, on the shores of lake Victoria was selected for the 320 acre of land. The site was up above the hill overlooking the lake with hundreds of heathen Kavirondo villages below. Carscallen who was later joined by the Mr and Mrs J. D Baker with Miss Thompson, took to translating the epistles into the vernacular of which the British and Foreign Society acknowledged his effort.
The work at Gendia extended out beyond Kavirondo bay and during the visit of L. R Conradi in 1908, a new site was acquired at Wire Hill with J. D Baker taking charge of the new station. He was joined by B. L Morse and H. H Brooks in that same year. Sixteen student gave themselves to baptism in 1911 as the first fruits in the missionary work in British East Africa. Another twenty four were baptized in the year that followed. Sites were granted by the government and new sites including in Kisii country. Dr G. A. S Madgwick was made the in charge of the newly built hospital that was put up on a piece of ten acres granted to the missionaries by the government.
The Inyazura Mission was founded in 1910 and opened in January 1, 1911. Melvin C Studervant, a superintendent of Solusi mission, set out into the interior of Mashonaland to look for a site for a new mission. He met Mr Folks who was about to surrender his 3,666 acres of land to the government and return to Europe.
Studevervant was impressed by the parcel of land and willing to acquire it for a new station. Situated near Inyazura Siding along the Beira to Salisbury Railway, the land was fertile and with good supply of water. A new school building was made to add to the native huts that already existed there. A store, a tool shop and a dinning room were in the new building. Enrollment began immediately and by there were upto seventy three students by the end of 1912.
F. B Jewell, W. Hodgson and Claude Tarr are among the workers who took part in the pioneering of the mission work at Inyazura . Jewell was in charge of the school for quite some time. Hodgson was an out school teacher and Tarr assisted Studervant who had to take a rest form the work to furlough. During the second world war, over 2/3 of the 3666 acres of the farm was sold to raise funds for the building of a dormitory.Soon afterwards a large part of the remaining 1/3 was sold to fund the building of a church in Southern Rhodesia. Nonetheless, Inyazura still became a school for technical arts with about 300 students. In 1980, the name was changed to Nyazura Mission and the is survived by Nyazura Adventist High School to this day.